run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Greetings from the Iceapocalypse

The parking lot at work this morning.

Let's back up, shall we? Saturday morning, was actually a beautiful winter day. Liz and I met up at Edwin Warner Park for a 10 miler that just couldn't end too soon. I mean, the company was great, the weather was great, but damnnnnnnnn. I just didn't feel like running. But, thanks to an out and back course, we got our planned 10 miles.

As we were finishing we heard what sounded like a dog fight in the bushes. Turns out... it was just Sonofabitch, Jeff, trying to scare us. But, then he legitimately scared us, by telling us that The KoB had left to take his brother to the ER because he had taken a nasty spill on the trail.

Sunglasses added by me.
 I didn't ask for permission to post this pic,
so, I thought I'd censor it a bit.
I'm classy (and artistic) like that.

Luckily, for him, it wasn't an important day or anything like his daughter's first birthday party or anything. OH WAIT, YES IT WAS.
The smartest, most beautiful, and perfect 1 year old on the planet.

Thankfully, he didn't break anything, but he did get some stitches and percocets.

After an eventful morning of forgetting things and driving back to my house twice to get them, it was time to head to The KoB's brother and sister-in-laws house for our darling little niece's 1st Birthday Party. Full disclosure: I heard there was going to be a ratio of about 1:1 kids to adults and frankly, I was nervous about that. Don't get me wrong.... I LOVE kids, but... more like... in a situation, where there are 4 adults to every kid. Groups of kids terrify me.


This was what I expected.
Especially with no booze.

I am happy to report, that I discovered that when you have a large group of kids, they all just hang out with each other and don't bother the adults. Lesson learned.... either have 1 kid or 6 kids.

Another lesson learned: It's impossible to take good photos
with a zillion kids around. 

On Sunday, there was a Striders Long Run planned, but with single digit temps, I easily bailed on the run and opted to stay in bed a little longer. IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN OF WHAT WAS TO COME!

Sunday night, with still freezing temps, I did manage to get out and run a quick 6 miles around the 'hood. Not nearly close to the back-2-back longish runs that I wanted to do. But, better than nothing, right?

Monday morning I awoke to the Iceapocalypse:

This was actually taken on Tuesday, not Monday.
That's ice. Not snow.

It's day 3 and I'm finally not the only one at work (the joys of living 1 block from your office, when all your co-workers live 30 minutes away). But, the sidewalks are still impossibly coated with ice. I'm not sure when I'm going to get to run again. The temperatures aren't slated to warm up till the weekend. UGH. This is not boding well for my upping my mileage plan.

I walked to CVS yesterday and snagged the last carton of eggs and the next to last loaf of bread. I'm actually surprised that there were any left, but I guess Vandy kids either don't have access to a stove to cook eggs or they just consider it peasant food. 

I also took a helper to work with me....

Turns out, Mr. Bloom isn't that adept at
preparing tax returns.

He did secure the area and make sure it was safe though.

All-in-all, it's been kind of fun. We haven't had this type of storm/weather in a LONG time. And it's easy for me to say it's been fun, because I live within walking distance of work, stores, restaurants. Otherwise, yes... it would SUCK. And it does suck that I can't run. I did see a guy running in the parking garage here at work on Monday... So, maybe I'll try that if things don't thaw out on the sidewalks soon.

2 comments:

Carina said...

That looks exactly like what happens here when we get a winter storm -- it's an inch of ice and no one can move. Stay warm!

Meredith said...

I have been living on the treadmill. It's not so much the snow that bothers me (and I'm glad it's snow and not ice). It's the cold. Yesterday high was 4. FOUR!!! WTF?!?