run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Still Thawing

So, yeah, we are still kind of thawing out. The roads are all fine and the sidewalks are good to go with the occasional icy patch. But the lot next to my building that I have to cross when I take Mr. Bloom out is still an ice skating rink. And, frankly, I'm sick of it.

Since the weather and roads were so bad last week, when Friday rolled around and I hadn't seen The KoB since the previous Sunday, I was like... I'm getting the hell out of here and coming up to see you. The weather forecast was snow Friday afternoon and night and then it was supposed to rain all of Saturday. Perfect! The rain will get rid of the ice, right?

It started snowing pretty heavy on my drive to his house and by the time I got to his neighborhood and started to pull into his driveway, I realized...

I found myself saying this all weekend.

His driveway was iced over and since it's straight uphill with no way to get momentum, we had to just leave my car at the bottom of the driveway. No problem, right? Except, that it was blocking the driveway, which meant that his car, which is 4x4 and had no problem with the icy driveway, was blocked in.

Ehhh... No biggie, it's going to rain all day tomorrow anyway and melt the ice, right?

So, we went inside and I watched him run on the treadmill while drinking boxed wine out of a tallboy glass.
 Tami Taylor is my spirit animal
with her enormous wine glasses filled to the top.

Now, The KoB has just moved into his house and so there is only one tv and a dvd player (both of which get moved from the dining room table to the gym depending on where he is). There is no cable and he doesn't have an antennae for his tv, so our only choice is DVDs. Lucky for me, he has about 15 steven seagal straight to dvd movies that he picked up at food lion earlier in the week. Since he had foolishly bragged to me about that purchase, I brought a couple of dvds of my own to watch. 

Saturday morning I fully expected to wake up to rain and slush. Sadly, I woke up to rain that was freezing as soon as it hit the ice. I kept thinking... yeah, okay... it's going to get warmer today and by mid-day the ice will be gone.


But, it never did.

I was starting to get that caged in feeling. My cell phone had died (only a car charger with me) and of course The KoB's phone doesn't have internet (I'm starting to make him sound like the unabomber or something), so when I wanted to know the forecast for tomorrow, I had to call my mom with his phone. 

One distraction was we spent about 30 minutes tredging through the rain and the icy neighborhood to try and find a stray dog's owner.

Finally, around 4pm, we were desperate and tried for the zillionth time of the day to get my car out from the blocking the driveway. Miraculously, The KoB was able to move it up the street a bit and free up his driveway.

 My car, safely on the side of the ROAD 
instead at the bottom of the driveway.

I have never in my life been so happy to go to Food Lion. The truth is, we were down to one Pop Tart and a couple of fake meat burgers. AND NO BEER. We got to food lion and spent over 100 dollars on junk food, dvds, a phone charger, beer, something called frozen dairy dessert that I thought was ice cream, and a magazine. It was glorious.

  almost this glorious.

By the end of the weekend, we had watched bits and pieces of Steven Segal movies while on the treadmill, Into the Wild, the first disc of Rome, most of Die Hard, and Smokey and the Bandit 2.

Sally Field was wayyyyy hotter than Daisy Duke. 
I'm just sayin'.

We were both signed up for a race on Sunday morning (a half for me and a full for The KoB). And it ended up getting cancelled (an hour and 22 minutes before the start of the race) because of the icy conditions.

All-in-all, it was actually a really fun weekend. Sure we could have been productive and put his new doorknobs on or hung up curtain rods and curtains in the bedroom. And it sucked that the weather was so miserable that running was limited to the treadmill. But, sitting around watching crappy movies (and a couple of not crappy ones) made for a pretty fun weekend.

1 comment:

Gracie said...

I've been really sick, but the tiny silver lining is the excuse to sit around and watch dvds.