run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Week 8 Review

There are times when a feeling of expectancy comes to me, as if something is there, beneath the surface of my understanding, waiting for me to grasp it.
                                                                                      Sylvia Plath

Holy moly. I've been training for 2 months? It does not feel like that at all.

Another good week for me and another boring recap for you. Woo!

The meat of the week:
The fast: 5 miles at 8:40ish pace
Bonus workout: Hill repeats, 4x2:00 minutes.
Total: 50-55.

For my tempo run, The KoB met me and it was a good thing, because I was not feeling it, at all.
Exactly, Ron.

I kept thinking that if we warmed up a little more, that I'd start to feel better. But, after 2.5 miles or so, The KoB  had to kick my ass into gear nudge me to get started. And you know what... the tempo miles didn't really feel much worse than the warm up miles. I mean, they were hard, of course, but sometimes running sucks no matter what the pace and that day was one of those days. Once we got rolling, I completed the miles pretty easily. But was super happy to have the KoB there. Otherwise, I would have totally bailed on the workout FOR NO GOOD REASON.

The hill repeats. Okay, so apparently to everyone else this sounds like a pansy workout. But, y'all... I haven't done hill repeats consistently... in like.. YEARS. I was struggling my ass off. Blarg. They were hard, but I got them done. And am looking forward (kinda) to gauging my progress on the same death hill in the future.

I don't really feel like I had a long run this week. I ran 11 miles on Sunday, and that was my longest run of the week, but I dunno... it doesn't seem all that long. Anyway. Against all odds the run was AMAZING. I had planned on getting up early on Sunday morning and getting them done, but I couldn't drag myself out of bed. I was exhausted, so I slept in and then dragged my ass out of bed for a big breakfast (priorities). 2 hours later I went out for my long run at 12:30. I assumed that it was going to be awful, that my heavy breakfast was going to jostle about and make me sluggish. But, uhhhh... you know what? It was actually AWESOME. I couldn't slow myself down. It was like the perfect mix of coffee and homefries or something. I dunno. I ended up with like 54 miles for the week. (Full disclosure: that's with running everyday, so... pretty lame).

Another good week in the books. I feel like I'm over the hump and coasting a bit now. I have a feeling that shit's about to get real, though. It's about time to stock up at the liquor store, methinks.


1 comment:

Yo Momma Runs said...

Hey, you're running Mercedes?! Great choice! I love the course, and the people here are obviously pretty amazing. If you've already been training 8 weeks, you are definitely going to be kicking this race's butt in February.