run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Bullshit, etc...

On the blog:
First off, as much as I HATE filling out the stupid word decoder thingy on other people's blogs when I leave a comment. I'm turning it back on here. I got 63 spam emails yesterday from "anonymous commenters" and 24 already this morning. YOU WILL NOT WIN SPAMBOTS. Sorry, I know it's annoying and probably discourages people from commenting, but I can't handle anymore of those emails.

On the Run Bitches:
Also, just thought I'd share with you the original prototype for the Run Bitches shirts:

Same Front.

But a slightly different wording on the back:
Classy, right?

Probably for the best we went the less offensive route.

On my Health:
I went to the doctor on Monday for my yearly check-up and got lots of red on my results.

No need to panic, I'm only borderline anemic.

Anyway, after self/google diagnosing myself with Pernicious Anemia, turns out my doc isn't worried about my numbers, at all and initially told me my results were fine. (And then I nagged him about WHY IS THERE SO MUCH FUCKING RED ON MY RESULTS and that's when I got the... you're fine, but you're borderline anemic. Take a supplement if you want, you whiny bitch). But hey, my cholesterol went down 28 points from last year whogivesaflyingfuckaboutcholesterolatage32?!

So, I'm going to continue with my B, B-12, and Iron supplements. And possibly experiment a bit more with the amounts and the timing of when I take them.

On Running:
Speaking of that, holy shit balls, y'all. I've started running some after work lately and like whoa... I kinda/sorta like it! Obvs I picked the best possible time for this: when daylight savings ends. But, whatever. Generally, my legs feel really good in the afternoons. I'm not sure if it's because of my lunch, or the supplements I take after lunch, or just because I wasn't sleeping approximately 10 minutes beforehand? I'm not giving up on morning runs entirely, but I'm definitely enjoying mixing it up with an afternoon run occasionally.

On Eating and Running:
I never eat before a run in the morning. Races are slightly different. I'll generally eat half of an energy bar a couple hours before a race of 13 miles or longer. And in a marathon, I'll usually use shotblox a little during the race.

And I'm thinking maybe it's time to experiment a little more. Particularly since I had an amazing run on Sunday after eating an enormous breakfast. Not that I should be eating a pound of homefries before a long run or race, but maybe having a little something on the stomach isn't a bad thing. I'm so nervous about my GI issues flaring up, that I generally think that no food is best. But... maybe some white carbs wouldn't be so bad before a race? I actually just purchased these items to test out tomorrow morning: Kryptonite Peanut Butter Puffins and Lemon Zest Luna Bar:

Breakfast of champions or just the breakfast of my dreams?
Swoon.

Everyone is different. So tell me... what fueling plan works best for you?

On Friends:
Shout out to my BFF, Lauren who is going to kill it at the Richmond Marathon this weekend. School some bitches, girl!

2 comments:

Carina said...

Anonymous comment. Spam. Penile enlargement. Haha. Just kidding. I'd definitely say work on finding something you can tolerate before a run. The science is really clear that it will benefit you performance-wise, it's just a matter of finding what will work for you. Start small and bland of course. Avoid dairy at all costs (and that's about 20 people I know making that stmt).

chiara said...

I got a whole slew of bot-comments this weekend out of the blue, but I haven't been posting much, so, prob less bot comments than you got. My beef with the word verification is that sometimes the word are difficult to discern (and I don't wear glasses). Stupid bots.

Anyway, fuel. I have been lucky in that my GI issues are only pre-race. I would say anywhere from 4-6 bathroom visits from wakeup to race time which is a little bit ridiculous. But once I start, I am ok. I usually eat a mini bagel (or half bagel) or slice of bread with some kind of nut butter (whatever I have on hand), and a banana. About 2 hours before start time. And coffee.