run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pacing...

Yeah, so I'm kind of in a weird place right now.

This morning I got up for my 8 mile marathon pace run. I checked my mcmillan printout before heading out the door, to see what I was supposed to be averaging... and I was a little dumbfounded when I saw it said: 9:08.

9:08. Seriously?

Ummm... I ran my last long run of 14.4 miles at about 8:45/8:50ish.

The 12 miler the week before? Ohhhh about 9:15.

WTF?

I threw out mcmillan's guidelines and just ran normal... checking my pace every so often and making sure I wasn't running too slow or too fast. I finished with an 8:50 average and feel like that was about a 7.5 on the effort scale.

I don't know whats going on with me. I honestly have no idea what my marathon goal time should be. And I'm not really worrying about it yet. In my upcoming half marathons, I should be able to crush 2:00 no problem (barring no freakish incidents), so I guess I'll use those as barometers.

I'm so freaking ready for that first half marathon. I dont want to wait two more weeks!!!

Side bar: So, the songs on my running playlist are just... OLD. I mean, I'm seriously sick of them, I gotta get some new tunes... but anyway, so lately, I've just been letting it shuffle all the songs on my ipod, which includes a lot of my chillin' on an airplane music... like Iron and Wine and The National and The Frames, and whatnot... well... I've also got the motown #1s on there and I don't know why I've never put some of those songs on my running playlist... but this morning... I heard:

"Heard it through the grapevine" Marvin Gaye
"Where did our Love go?" The Supremes

DUDE. How did I NEVER think of putting these songs on my running playlist??? I mean... Yes, I regularly dance around my living room singing these songs... but, run to them??? Brilliant! It's time I update my playlist for sure. I'm open to suggestions...

3 comments:

April said...

Dude, I recommended those songs to you for your running playlist a long time ago.

Vandy-Montana said...

Awkward.....

Anonymous said...

I see your temptation to abandon pacing advice, but I'd say don't do it. Don't run your long runs too fast -- you'll pay for it with an injury, or with reduced capacity for speed training. You need to know the purpose of each run. If you're going for a 4 hour marathon, you should be able to do a half in 1:53. I have no doubt you can do that, but stick to your goal. The purpose of race pace is to train your body to know what it feels like to maintain that exact pace. I'd round the 9:08 to 9, but not to 8:50. A lot of these methods are tried and true. Take it one step at a time, but try to make your long runs about endurance and time on your feet, and make pace runs about being dead on for pace, make speed runs about speed.