run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Something to run to...

My friend Jeff recently asked me... do you ever get The Rage while you're running and end up running further than you thought you would and not even realize it? There was an awkward pause in the conversation when I told him, that no, I had no idea what he was talking about. I guess I'm just not someone who ever gets The Rage. Clearly, he does. But, instead of The Rage, I have my music... So, I thought it was time to do another music list... here's a sampling of what I've really been into lately.

Note: Hall of Fame songs. Some of these songs have been on my playlist since day one of running. There are some songs that I will just never tire of, so they’ve likely been on previous music entries in this blog, but they deserve it. So, get over it.

The Pretender – Foo Fighters. So, I have a lot of Foo Fighters songs on my playlist, but that's basically because the foo fighters kick ass. And this song is awesome to run to. It builds slowly and then the last 3/4 of the song is just upbeat, hardcore screaming... I love the lines..."What if I say that I'll never surrender" and also... "Now, who are you? yeah, who are you? who are you?" Good stuff. Good Stuff indeed.

Just Got to Be - Black Keys Again, I have a lot of Black Keys songs on my playlist and this one isn't in the hall of fame yet but it's almost there. I think that this song is like my personal soundtrack. This is the song that I am humming in my head on a daily basis. "I got to go because something's on my mind, and it won't get better no matter how hard I try." God, the black keys are gods. Seriously.

Kiss-Kiss - Chris Brown w/ T-Pain I love me some hip-hop and this song is catchy and upbeat as hell. Repetition in songs is good for running. "Shawty let me holla at you, you so hot, hot, hot, hot. You think i'd be hollering if you not, not, not not." Classy lyrics, too.


When Your Mind's Made Up - The Frames Okay, so this isn't your typical great running song. I mean, it's The Frames for chrissakes, you should be holed up in a basement listening to this song while looking at pictures of your ex boyfriend who left you for your best friend and took your dog with him, too. But, while their songs are very heartfelt and emotion-filled, some of them are also kind of bad ass in a screaming/wailing type of way... and this song definitely fits that bill.

When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin HALL OF FAME So, I have a ton of led zeppelin songs on my playlist, too. See a pattern here? I also really like long songs, too and this song besides being one of my all time favorite songs, is great running song. Although, I must admit... ever since Hurricane Katrina, I kind of enjoy this song a little less... bummer.

Stronger - Kanye West HALL OF FAME Basically, this song is the ultimate running song. The beat is perfect and the lyrics are genius. "That don't kill me can only make me stronger..." I mean, dude, how can that not totally pump you up and make you run faster. It's better than Rocky's theme song. (Yes, I did just say that).


My Mathematical Mind - Spoon HALL OF FAME Thank god, my friend Steph introduced me to the band Spoon a few years ago. I mean, is there another band out there that keeps making cds better and better? I mean, you know how it goes... your favorite band gets a little popularity and then makes a new cd and you are scared before you play the first song. You're scared that this is going to the cd that sucks. Well, with Spoon... that cd hasn't been made yet, and I'm beginning to think that it never will. Their latest cd, Ga ga ga ga ga ga, is amazing. I can't stop listening to it, but this song is from their previous cd, Gimme Fiction. And it's a great running song. The opening gets you pumped up as it's the sound of like a film reel clicking or something and it just builds into this awesome upbeat, smooth song.

All These Things That I've Done - The Killers HALL OF FAME April suggested this song to me and since day one, it has remained a song that totally keeps me in the groove and on task. I can't stop running during this song, it's just not possible. "I got soul, but I'm not a soldier...." (Okay, I seriously had to look up how to spell soldier today... I kept spelling it solider and I was thinking... wow, that doesn't look right. Jeez. It's going to be a long day).

Is It Any Wonder? Keane This song has a great build up and beat. You'll run fast to this song. Maybe too fast.


Yeah! Usher HALL OF FAME I don't really think this song needs an explanation of why it's here. It's awesome.

Shoot to Thrill - AC/DC HALL OF FAME So, basically the entire AC/DC cd Back in Black is Hall Of Fame worthy. I was born in 1980. Coincidence? I think not. Picking one favorite song to run to from this cd is like choosing between your favorite candy bars. There are no losers.

Dirt Off Your Shoulder - Jay-Z I have a ton of Jay-Z songs on my playlist, too, but I always get pumped when I hear this one. Confession: When I used to run on the treadmill, when I heard this song I would brush my shoulders off during the song. Yeah, I like to keep it real.

White, Discussion - Live Whatever happened to these guys? Isn't it kind of ironic, that their band name is Live? I love that. Also, as a sidebar... I tried to find a picture of Live on google images, and couldn't come up with one, I did get pics of marachi bands and Dr. Hook, though, so, I guess it wasn't a total loss. This is a good, consistent song to run to.

Ok, so that's a little taste of what I'm listening to now. Now, download these songs today and run further and harder. Or, just get The Rage if you're too cheap.

No comments: