run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Comedy of Errors

I took Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off from running. I felt a little guilty taking Sunday off, but, I had also been having some soreness in my legs, so I thought that maybe an extra day would heal all that up. Aside from not running those days, I also had very little sleep, junky food and lots of alcohol. So, I knew Monday morning's run was going to be interesting.

The first problem: I woke up late. I first awoke at 4:37 (I always wake up at times when the minute is 7... very strange) and thought to myself, "yes! I get to sleep for 23 more minutes." Apparently, I hit the snooze button on my alarm clock when it first went off at 5 (I never do this, I always just turn it off and turn on the light). But, its a good thing I did, because it was waking me up again in 5 minutes! Yikes! Only 5 minutes to get ready!

I hustled downstairs and got out the door around 5:15. I felt pretty good for most of the run, but around three quarters of a mile, I started to feel like I needed to use the bathroom. We turned around and headed back home so that I could go potty. Well, as soon as I got into the bathroom, I pulled my shorts down and heard a "plop" followed by a "thump." I jumped up and saw my ipod floating in the toilet. UGGGGGHHHHH My ipod nano!!!!!!! My beautiful silver running partner was submerged in the toilet (luckily I hadn't started to use the bathroom yet), I immediately scooped it up, wiped it off as quickly as I could... all the while still having to go to the bathroom REALLY bad. The display still worked, so I was hopeful. After I used the bathroom, I continued to try to dry it off and see if it would work. I was still kind of playing with it as we headed out the door again.

Apparently, I was playing with it so much and it was so dark, that I completely missed the last step off our porch and fell directly on my left knee. Scraping it, making it bleed. At this point, I had to laugh. In the course of 30 minutes, I had woken up late, had to run back to the house to use the bathroom, dropped my ipod in the toilet, and fell down the steps onto concrete. This wasn't a good start.

I finished up the run getting in 5.5 miles. The music on my ipod was working, but the nike sensor wasn't. At worst, I figured, I'd just have replace it, not too bad considering. Luckily last night though, I reset it and it worked fine this morning! Whew.

Sometimes things just don't seem to be going your way, but there is always time to right the ship, I guess.


April said...

Oh no! That sucks! At least you can laugh about it:)

Consuela said...

Good for people to know.