run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Weeks 3 & 4

I honestly don't know why I can't get my shit together to blog more often, but, I'm really hoping I can get back into a good routine, because I have things to say, dammit. Anyway, I'm in the middle of week 5 right now, so, we've got a little catch up to do.



So, week 3 was really good. Since, I don't have a lot of time to train (weekday-wise), I'm really focusing on getting quality miles in on the weekend. So, week 3, I ran 10 miles on Saturday and then 14 miles on Sunday and surprisingly, felt really good for both of those runs.

I think doing double long runs (for me) is a good way to get into endurance shape. It's teaching my legs to run while tired and since I have to run slower to get the miles in, I feel like I'm testing the injury gods a little less. 



So, I feel like I had a good week 3. Week 4, my running was pretty non-existent. So, that's no good. But now, I'm in week 5 and hoping to have a good week!

Remember, this is a precautionary tale of training. DON'T DO THIS. Actually train for shit and don't half ass it, like I am.


I'm getting into it and having fun, and I'm tempted to float the idea of being coached again, once this mess of a training cycle and race is through. I'm ready to get better again and while it's going to be a bit of a struggle to get my weekday miles up (new job is awesome, but a little less flexible than previous job), I think I'm ready to see if I can make it work.

Gotta get through Oct 16, first though!

Hope everyone else's fall training is going well!

OMG my blogger formatting on this post is driving me crazy. I apologize if it looks even shittier than it normally does.

2 comments:

Carina said...

You mentioned double long runs a while ago, and I thought it was such a good idea since I usually have plenty of free time each weekend morning, so I wanted to try doing the double long runs, but I've just totally failed in making myself do it. I love sleeping in on Saturdays and it was just too hot to run when I woke up, but the last few weeks, that hasn't really been true, I've just been lazy. I need to just do it, I agree, awesome way to build endurance.

Gracie said...

Double long runs worked for me when I had an abbreviated training plan. It got more weekly miles in without jumping from zero to twenty miles all at once.