run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Lesson

So, here's the problem with starting training tweaks (like a speedwork program) with no goal race: It's incredibly hard to stay motivated.

Yeah, as excited as I was to try some regular speedy stuff again, after the first week and the hamstring issues, I kind of fell off of the speedwork wagon. I am the WORST at following through on things if there's no real accountability (if you couldn't tell by now).


So, where does that leave me? Well, just kind of running when I want to run. And I'm okay with that. I'm going to attempt to ratchet the consistency and mileage up a bit in June. But, I think, right now, the less (by way of training plans) is more. Less direction. Less expectations. Just enjoyment.


Thankfully, I run with Steve at least twice a week and that forces me to run faster than I normally would, so there is some built-in speed to my schedule, and we will probably occasionally throw in some kind of fartlek, or tempo runs occasionally.

That's where I am right now and truthfully, it's fine. There will be plenty of time for plans when I start training in earnest for Des Moines (which, eeek! will probably have to be soon).

No comments: