run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Marathon Week

Three weeks ago, on a long run, I proclaimed to the group... "we are all fucked." We haven't had one long training run this season where I've had to wear sleeveless. Not one training run where I felt like the sun was slowly peeling away layers of my skin or where keeping sweat out of my eyes was a problem.

So, now, it's Marathon Week for me and I say again...

We are all fucked.


Good times, y'all.

Well, there isn't much I can do about that, except drink 10 gallons of powerade zero on Friday and Saturday and hope that the extra 3 pounds of liquid on my body will help keep me hydrated...
I'm going to say, let's make that a 90% chance.

So, let's talk about my goals.

In perfect race conditions my A goal would be a 4:15. I would be thrilled with that and I do actually think I am capable of that. My B goal would be sub 4:30. Other than that, I will be happy to finish without my internal organs shutting down on me.

Seriously, though, I am going to go out and attempt to run 9:44 pace for as long as I can hang on. It's not going to be pretty and it probably won't happen for long, but I am going to do my best.

Spring Marathons are the fucking the worst.


2 comments:

Carina said...

You know that you've got to work on your mental game, right? I have no doubt you can hold 9:44s the whole time; remind yourself that you absolutely can and you WILL. It won't always be fun, but you are 100% capable of doing so. (At the same time, all my friends who ran Boston were lamenting how hot it was this week, a big high of 67 -- I'll definitely agree the weather gods aren't smiling on you, but wrap your head around it and have faith in yourself, you're stronger than you think.) But seriously, get confident. You've got this. You kick @ss!!!!

Gracie said...

Yeah, that's pretty rough. But you will be ok. You can do it! Just keep up the hydrating like you planned and try to stay in the shade. Plus, hopefully that actual high will be later in the day (although, I have run marathons in the 80's in the early morning....).You're right, spring races are so tricky. One year the race will be freezing with sleet and the next year it's practically summer.