run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

How to train for a marathon in 3 weeks.

So, I have a marathon in 27 days.


I haven't ran 20 miles or more since April 2014.


I will probably die in 27 days.

Should I bail on the marathon? Yup. Will I? Nope. The thing is... even though I'm not trained to run a marathon, I am on a decent little streak of running and I am actually REALLY enjoying running right now. Sure, it's slow and it's a grind, but I kinda feel like a runner again. It's glorious.

*

So, I want to just plow through and try to run as much as possible before the race and then just suffer through it as best I can. (It will be a SLOW, LONG marathon). 

Here's the plan.

Weekend 1:
Saturday: 10 miles
Sunday: 16 miles

Weekend 2:
Friday: 10 miles
Saturday: Probably not much (traveling)
Sunday: 10 miles
Monday: 20 miles (I will probably die).

Weekend 3: 
Saturday: 12 miles
Sunday: 20 miles

Race Weekend:
Friday: 8 miles
Saturday: 5 miles
Sunday 26.2 miles.

Is this dumb? YUP. Will I injure myself? Maybe. Do I recommend this for other runners? Hell no. Will this be entertaining for you guys? Probably.

 I've made a huge mistake.

 
 


 * Thanks for the wins, Ol' Ball Coach.
 

4 comments:

Dolly said...

So is this like a reverse taper training plan?

Seriously though good luck to you! This is my favorite time of year.
Race Reports a plenty..

Gracie said...

Go for it. You're feeling good - have fun.

Vandy-Montana said...

Yeah, but we'll die together. I figure why feel shitty for 1+ hours per day for 4 months when you can just be shitty for 4+ hours +recovery time once...

Carina said...

Yow! If anything, I'd drop the pre-race Fri to 3 or something, so you get at least a little taper? I think I'm going to be in a similar boat -- marathon on Dec 6 and I haven't run a single step since Sept 16 when I fell (aside from about 2 miles in early Oct on an alter-g treadmill at about 40% of my (steadily increasing) body weight). Should know more next week, but if I am cleared to run, it will be progressing from 0 to 26 in 4 weeks (including Thanksgiving...). Ugh. But I really like Vandy's comment above!