run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Monday, December 8, 2014

Week 1 Recap


For the first time in what feels like a really long time, I actually went OVER the mileage that I was supposed to. Which, is kind of the opposite of what I should be doing in the first week. But instead of slapping my wrist (it was only 2 measly miles), I'm stoked that I actually made myself do what I was supposed to without slitting my wrists, whining to everyone I know, or making some dumb ass excuses. 

So. Yay!

There was one drawback, though. I was supposed to do 2 workouts and a long run and I only managed to do 2 out of 3 of those things. I did my long run and I did a 40 minute progression run. I did not do a run with 4 miles at Marathon Pace. 

My kind of math.

Coach and I have decided that it is important to pick a goal marathon time, only because how else do I know what paces I'm supposed to be running? So, we picked one that seems doable and practical. And while, I haven't exactly recorded a bunch of marathon times in that range, the pace seems very attainable given my current fitness level (which, is not too bad for short distances, but pretty fucking terrible for longer ones).

On my long run, I tried to get out of my brain. I realized, that generally speaking, I still love the way running feels physically. Even when my legs feel like shit and the hills seem never ending, my body overall still feels okay. But, mentally... man, I am really struggling. I am just bored as fuck. And I think that's a big part of the big 2014 running cut back.

Yup.

So, I am hoping that getting back on track with some workouts will help. I've also asked for a new ipod for christmas (my previous one mysteriously disappeared awhile back). I think that once I just get back into my Routine of running, I'll be fine. But, it's getting to that point, that's going to suck.

Anyway, week 1 down and I feel good.

2 comments:

Gracie said...

Even though I almost never run with music, getting a new ipod is a big boost. It makes me go test new music mixes and things. And if I make a long mix, then I have to do a long run.

Nikki said...

To be honest, I'm the kind of person that has to distract myself from realizing I'm exercising, so the only thing that keeps me motivated when I'm running is the music (or t.v. if I'm on a treadmill). Well that and dreaming of the food I'll be devouring afterwards :)