run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Nutrition Training

I've been really making an effort to fuel my body a little better during training this time around.

Pre-Run:
Before a speed workout or a run of more than 10 miles, I try to eat a little something:
Udi's Gluten Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread.
I generally eat this before a speed workout or mid-long run.
Really tasty.
 
 Udi's Gluten Free Muffins
These are the lowest calorie GF muffins I could find. 
They've got about 300 calories and I usually eat 
one before a long run.
Also, really good.
The texture of baked goods with GF flours is different... softer.
 
Post Run:
After a hard run, I try to remember to have a protein smoothie as soon as I get done.
Garden of Life Protein Powder has been my choice lately.
I usually mix it with some unsweetened cocoa powder,
agave nectar, pinch of salt, almond milk, and wheatgrass powder.
It tastes like a frosty.
 
Supplementation:
Also known as "expensive piss."
Coenzyme Q10: Honestly, I can't remember why I take this except that I heard this man say I should be taking it:
Dr. Andrew Weil.
My health guru.
I pretty much do about 33% of everything he suggests.

I seem to remember something about cardiovascular health or something? I dunno.
 
Iron: Obvs.
 
Holy Basil: Dr. Weil strikes again! I read about this herb in his book Spontaneous Happiness (one of the best books I've ever read about mental health). This just takes the edge off and helps me handle stress a little easier. I dunno. When I was buying it for the first time last year, the woman at the health food store described it by saying....
"You know when you're driving in your car and you want to run over everything and everyone?"
"Yes, YES, I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN."  
"yeah, this herb makes just makes you totally chill about it all."
 I bought like 5 bottles on the spot.
 
ZMA: I just started taking this, The KoB bought me some. It's supposed to help with recovery. The bottle says something about testosterone? I dunno, I keep expecting to wake up like the Incredible Hulk in the middle of the night or something.
I haven't really been taking it long enough to know whether or not it's helping. And honestly, I'm not sure if it's absorbing all that well, because you're supposed to take it before bed on an empty stomach. But, I pretty much always go to bed immediately after dinner. So.... I dunno. I'll let you know.
 
B-Complex: All my B levels were low the last time I was at the doctor, so I take this to hopefully help that. And when I take it at night, I make sure to take my Holy Basil with it. I think the B-Complex can hype me up a bit, and plus, when I take the Holy Basil at night I have very awesome, vivid dreams. The best thing I think about the B-Complex that I actually notice, is that when I take it before bed, I wake up a LOT easier in the morning.
 
Not pictured: B-12 drops: Same health food store lady INSISTED that I start taking B-12 when she found out my diet. I'm not complaining... it tastes like cherry kool-aid. But, since it's kept in the fridge, I often forget about it.
 
A word on supplementation: This is something that I am very interested in. Particularly herbs, etc. But, I find it overwhelming to keep track of WHEN you're supposed to take certain things for the best absorption. Like, Iron is supposed to be taken with Vitamin C, right?? Ugh. I am also forgetful about taking them consistently. I guess I need to make a chart or something. Any suggestions on this? Does anyone else take supplements or do you just think it's a bunch of hoo-ha (for the record, up until a couple of years ago I was a strong believer that vitamins and supplements were a waste a money. Now, I'm obsessed with them.)
 


4 comments:

Carina said...

Can you buy one of the old person pill cases? That has worked wonders for my vitamin/supplement consistency. Once morning a week, I get out 8 of each pill, put 7 in the daily compartments, take 1 that day. I take all mine in the morning, but my husband has an old person pill case with diff compartments for AM and PM. I keep mine in the pantry right by my breakfast stuff, so I remember most days (weekends can be tough sometimes), hubby keeps his by his toothbrush and seriously never misses AM or PM.
I'm far from convinced about vitamins and supplements, and I worry I don't really absorb much, but I definitely don't think they hurt and even if I get a marginal benefit, seems worth it.

Amy said...

Yes, that is a good idea and I have considered doing that. Maybe the AM/PM would work for me. I also like the idea of keeping them in the bathroom. Thanks!

Jill Ann said...

My docs (I have several now due to this exercise induced heart issue.) FML !!!

All my docs said NO to vitamins. So be careful please!!

Don't be like me and get sidelined during your quest to BQ.

Amy said...

Jill Ann- Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I usually run my vitamins by my doc at my annual visits. Take care of yourself.

(Sidenote: So, I was having a dumb moment... I was like... what does FML mean. And then I googled it and it said it meant Fix My Lighthouse and then I was like, okayyy what the hell does that mean and then I realized what FML really means. Good story, right?)