run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

20 Miles of Awesomeness

So, yeah, it's Spring and everyone and their brother is training for a spring-time marathon. Which means that all my running pals are getting in long runs on the weekends and OF COURSE I CANT BE LEFT OUT. WTF, guys? So, at 6:30 Saturday morning I found myself standing around with a bunch of other Nashville Striders embarking on a 20 mile training run. Mostly, I was lured by the promise of IHOP afterwards.

I actually really like this particular run. The first 13ish miles are the Half Marathon route for the Country Music Marathon and there is something about running in a pack of runners through downtown Nashville on an early Saturday morning.

Anyway, I was happy to see my friend Melissa at the run who is training for BOSTON and we set out to run together. It had been awhile since we'd seen each other, so there was plenty of catching up to do. My garmin was dead, so I didn't have the distraction of being able to look down every minute to see how far we'd gone. Anytime that I asked Melissa and she'd respond, I'd always be like.. Really... that far, already?

And by the time we finished, I couldn't believe that we'd just ran 20 miles. It went by so fast and so easily and all I could think was... well, shit. none of my 20 milers for Birmingham went that well. Thanks, universe. Ugh.

More importantly for future reference: It occurred to me two days after the run, that I didn't fuel at all during the run. I had sips of gatorade at the water stops. But no gels, blocks, or anything. And I never felt like I was running low on energy or had extreme muscle fatigue or anything. Good to know, eh?

No comments: