run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Speedwork Sucks.

Week One of Half Marathon Training: Um. Holy fuck. There is one thing that is clear after this first week: I am going to have to work my goddamn ass off if I want to get anywhere near a PR in less than 2 months.

Like, whoa.... I forgot how hard speedwork is. And not even FAST speedwork. But like, faster than my regular ole shit show runs speedwork (which isn't that fast, folks).

I had two workouts this week on the schedule:

Monday: MOTHER EFFIN' HILL REPEATS
If you can get to some hills (or even one good hill), warmup and do 7 repeats running up the hill at 10K effort.

Friday: THE HARDEST TEMPO RUN YOU WILL NEVER MAKE YOUR SPLITS FOR.
Warm up for 10 minutes and then run about 30 minutes progressively, approaching 10K pace (7:40ish) near the end. You should feel like it was a good effort, but not really hard. Ideally, you should feel like you could continue for a while longer. Cool down 10 mins.  

I knew there was going to be a bit of an adjustment period. But, daaaaaaamn. Both days I felt like I had just been chewed up and spit out. Not pretty. I know after a couple of weeks of this, it will start to feel less like death and more like a really good challenge. But good god, I forgot how rough of a start it is.

Blarg.


2 comments:

Carina said...

Yeah, it will get better. I think I start hills next week, and I am not looking forward to it. Today was the first day with tempo pace, and I thought there was a substantial risk I'd be well over my max heart rate by the end...

chiara said...

I was looking at my recent runs on my log - I use Runners World log so it has this colorful bar chart for each type of workout - and noticed I hadn't done a tempo run in months. Fartleks, intervals/repeats, easy, long, race, but no tempo. I have always hated the tempo run (in HS track, I dreaded them).