run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Back on the Wagon (almost)

And no, I'm not talking about alcohol. I fell off that wagon a long time ago, folks.

So, a week after my 50k, I decided to join the Nashville Striders for their first marathon training run of the Spring 2010 season. The Bongo to Bongo 14 miler. It was wet, but it was fun! It's amazing how much MORE fun a 14-16 mile run is than say... a 20 mile training run.

I actually only got in 13.5, but aside from the last mile which hurt a little, I felt really, really good. Then my Monday night tempo run was a perfect 8:42 pace and I only felt like I was going to die a couple of times (improving?? possibly??). I think having the stress of the 50k off my shoulders has really allowed me to enjoy running again. I'm getting back in the groove, baby.

But,  before I get all gung-ho on your asses. This week is not going to be a high mileage week. Wanna know why??? Because tomorrow afternoon, I will be here:

Celebrating my 30th birthday with some of my favorite people in the world! I will be running 1 day while I'm there. Friday morning, April and I will get up and hit the streets at 7am to tackle 18 miles, before spending the rest of the weekend succombing to the evil temptations that Bourbon Street has to offer. Basically... I'm going to be drinking and partying my ass off.

And when I get back next week... it's on. Back to serious running. Back to serious working out. Back to serious attempts at appearing hardcore. I've got a date with the 3:59 marathon. April 25th. No distractions (besides 2-3 half marathons that I will use as tune-up races), just lots of miles and training.

**Side note... So, maybe I started my birthday celebration a little early with yesterday's HUGE Gamecock win! How often do you beat the #1 team in the country? (If you're a gamecock... maybe once in a lifetime, sadly). Obviously, I had to mark the occasion by climbing out of my pjs and heading to the local bar. Sure, getting up this morning at 5:30 to run SUCKED, but it was sooooo worth it.

3 comments:

Turbo Photographs said...

How 'bout those Gamecocks!!!! Shocker of the century! Can't believe we won.

Happy (early) Birthday :) Have a fun trip to New Orleans!

RunnerMom said...

Congrats on the 50K!!! I can't believe you only took a week off and are out there pounding the pavement again.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Amy! Have fun in the Big Easy!