run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

A letter...

Dear Fellow Neighborhood Runners,

What up? I hope all your runs are going well….

Anyway, I’m writing you this letter because it’s come to my attention that I look a little different than the rest of you… and because of this difference, I'm starting to get a wee bit embarrassed. It's one of those things that we both realize, but we just haven't discussed it... cause, ya know... it's not an easy thing to bring up, I know. But, I'm willing to put my pride aside and admit that I must have a problem.

So, I'm just going to say it....

Yes, I sweat. A lot. Like, buckets apparently. And I know, it's gross and it's stinky, but it's what I do. I run and I sweat. And I don't feel like I have to apologize for that. Frankly, I'm not sure how all of you keep from looking the same way! I mean, you prance around in your running shoes and your dry t-shirts. How do you think that makes me feel? Sure, I play it off like I just stood under a sprinkler head for 10 minutes or something, but we both know I didn't. And, I'm just tired of being ashamed. I'm tired of thinking that there is something wrong with me.

Honestly, how do you do it? None of you ever have a sweaty shirt or a sweaty, red face. I mean. Is there some kind of product out there that I don't know about that keeps you from sweating? Because, by all means, if there is! Just tell me!

Don't shun me. I'm just a girl who loves running and who just happens to sweat a lot. Is that a crime? Is it a crime to look like this:


If it is, then I'm guilty. And I'm sorry if it grosses you and your dry t-shirted running partners out.

But, we can exist as one neighborhood, can't we? All I ask, is that you stop staring at me like i'm a freak of nature. Because sweating is a natural and healthy body function. (It is!).

So, thanks for listening. I just felt the need to address the huge white (sweaty) elephant on the streets and hopefully we can all run a little more comfortable now that the issue is out in the open.

Keep on Truckin',

Amy


5 comments:

GypsiAdventure said...

are you paranoid or do they actually stare? :) hehe

You should just tell them that if they were 'hard core' like you, they too could look like that, instead they are just sweat sissys!

happy trails!!
~K

April said...

Dude...it's because you love running in 100% cotton t-shirts!! You have like the biggest running wardrobe of anyone I know...wear your dri-weave shirts!! Or just don't wear gray...it shows sweat the most. White will disguise:)

Ian said...

It totally looks like a smilie face or a Mickey Mouse face on your back.

Eric Gervase said...

Your shirt pales in comparison to mine. You actually have spots on your shirt where it's dry. Mine are usually dripping by the end of the run.

So... please don't stare at me... :)

Vandy-Montana said...

wow, um...wow. I can beat that though...