run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dinner and Dessert: Pan Baked Sole and Berry Crepes

It's time for me to share a delicious recipe with you! And a bonus-crepes for dessert! The first one comes from epicurious, which comes from Gourmet Magazine through way of Jamie Oliver (the Naked Chef). The sole was on sale and I figured I'd give it a whirl, as I've never prepared it before. Fish is my very favorite thing to cook and eat on a regular basis. In my book, fish beats out chicken any day.
But it wasn't always like that! I actually used to be SCARED of fish. Like, I could eat cod or salmon that my parents cooked, but I couldn't LOOK at a fish. It's the eyeballs, man. The eyeballs were scary. Why can't they close their eyes or blink? That's freaky. It's like they're glaring at you and telepathically telling you that they are going to haunt your dreams at night for eating them. My brother, Spencer, used to go into the freezer and pull out a huge, whole fish so that he could chase me around the house with it. Terrifying!

However when I moved to Japan and saw whole fish (eyeballs included) looking up at me from my plate, I was forced to look that fear in the face, literally. From my time there:

So long story short, I now love fish! Yay fish! Last night I made pan baked sole with spinach, olives and tomatoes. I also sauteed zucchini and topped it with Italian cheeses. Everything turned out great!

It's kind of a mess of a picture and you can't see anything but the tomatoes and spinach so here's a look at what is rolled up in the fillet-olives, anchovy and fresh basil and olive oil:

And just cause it's so purty and I'm proud of my green thumb...here's the fresh basil straight from my garden:

And now for a healthy summer dessert...Berry crepes with a yummy low-fat ricotta cheese filling, also from epicurious. This one was so good that I just might be making it for my mom's birthday party this weekend. Happy Birthday, Rosemary!!

To get these recipes:
Click HERE for the fish and HERE for the crepes.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Wait while I wipe the drool off my keyboard..;-)..That looks TOO yummy!

m said...

Thanks for visiting.

Those crepes look awsome.

The fish...not so much.

Oh and the visor! I have a underarmour one also....I put it in the top rack of the dishwasher and wash it that way. I must say your's looks preeety bad.

Rhoni said...

Wow, your a chef and a runner, and I bet you have a day job! I'm quite impressed!