run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Drink Review: Zola Acai Power Juice

Every now and then, Amy and I write product or food reviews on this blog. As I think back, it seems like all of our reviews have been positive and written because we felt the need to share the love with our awesome readers. Well folks, today is the day that I'm gonna have to end those positive vibes. Today I'm a critic and I'm sorry to say that this juice downright sucks.

Mostly, I stick to water, green tea and milk. Ok, ok...beer and wine, too....there's no getting past you, is there? sigh...
But sometimes, the juice aisle in the grocery store just seems to be calling out to me. Maybe it's because the aisle is so pretty with it's bright colors and attractively shaped bottles.
Or perhaps it's because there are so many dang choices of flavors and brands these days. We can go the exotic route, with fruits like the pomegranate and acai, that have been the latest craze. Orange juice? Grape juice? Apple juice? No way!! Only babies drink those juices! I'm way too hip for that, man.

......You will now be hypnotized by the pretty colors and bottles.......

The other big thing with juices these days is the health aspect. When we started to hear warnings of the insanely high sugar content of juices, there became a rash of "All-Natural," "Organic," "Packed Full of Antioxidants!" and "Superfood" type juices. Now you could have your cake and eat it, too. A cake that was super-healthy and would cure all your ailments! Woo Hoo!

I love buying foods and drinks that are good for me and taste good. I will even admit that I love Odwalla's Superfoods juice, which looks like mildewed slime (sorry to put that image in your head). I'm not admitting to loving it, but the secret feeling I harbor within. It looks disgusting and people think you are some health-nut that has the willpower and determination to do anything it takes to be healthy...but, really...just between you and me... it's all for show. Secretly, I know that the stuff tastes darn good. It's a win-win situation.

Ok, right now I know that you are thinking...
Um...Isn't this supposed to be a review?
Will she ever shut-up about juice? Jeez.

Yes, this is a review of Zola Acai Antioxidant Power Juice.
Great name, huh? That's probably half the reason I bought it. The other reason was because they were on sale for 50% off. I guess there was a reason for that...

I tried the Acai + Blueberry flavor and it was chalky and bitter. A friend commented to me that it must not be good since I made a sour face every time I took a drink. I probably only had 5 sips before it went down the drain. So sad.

It's possible that acai is a bitter fruit anyway...I'm not sure, but I was not a fan. I was disappointed that I didn't like it because it also has added Omega-6 and Omega-9 fatty acids, 8 of the 9 essential amino acids, calcium, iron and replenishing electrolytes. Plus it has GuaranĂ¡ powder. I have no idea what that is, but it sounds healthy so I like it.

Maybe the Original or Acai & Pineapple flavors are better, but I let you be the one to try cause I'm done with Zola.

3 comments:

Dana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana said...

I hear ya on the H2O,green tea & milk..No beer for me(can't stand the taste) but I'm all about the wine..;-)

According to Wikipedia acai is typically blended w/ other fruits & can be salty or sweet depending on what it's mixed w/.

Anonymous said...

I am at this moment drinking a ZOLA Acai+Pineapple, and I have to tell you, it is DELICIOUS! Guess to each his/her own...