run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Monday, February 8, 2016

The problem with getting back into shape...

So, I ran a half marathon as a training run on Saturday. I had expectations that I'd be able to use the run as my long run workout for the week (aka.. 13 miles at :15 seconds over projected marathon pace, which for me is 9:22). That didn't exactly happen.

What did happen is that I became so dejected and angry when I couldn't hit my paces on the hilly course, that I essentially gave up and started taking walk breaks. I mean, I couldn't even jog it and enjoy it. And I think that is what really got me down.

The problem with getting back into shape is that just when you think you might be there.... you realize you're not. And it's so hard to keep your head in the game after a set-back like that. But, I am just going to try to forget about it and keep my head down and working through my training plan. At some point, I'm bound to have my breakthrough long run. But, at this rate, it feels like it won't be till April.

Ugh. Words of wisdom: NEVER LET YOURSELF GET SO OUT OF SHAPE.



Run Less, Run Faster weekly re-cap coming up on Wednesday.

No comments: