run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Friday, December 27, 2013

Guilt Free Recovery

I am REALLY living up this recovery period. I run whenever I want, how many ever miles I want and it's good. Strangely enough, I haven't even really gained all that much weight the past few weeks either. Definitely less than I normally do during a recovery period (normally, I pack on 8-10 pounds all from alcohol pretty much immediately after I cross the finish line). I have even made meals out of chocolate covered nuts (lunch one day last week) and milk and cookies ice cream (dinner the other night) and my clothes still fit the way they did before the race. WEIRD. I'm pretty sure I picked up some kind of tapeworm over the holidays, but, I'm not complaining.

 Stocking up for Christmas Dinner at my parents house.

The biggest thing though is I finally don't feel guilty about rest days or slow miles. I don't think that's ever happened since I started running. I think the two years of consistent training has made me realize that time off isn't the end of the world. I'm not going to lose fitness or endurance (that isn't re-gainable, that is) and I'm not going to gain 50 pounds. It's okay. Enjoy it while I can, because soon enough my life is going to be running and taxes. Yay for winter! Ugh.

I am also WAY excited about 2014. I've got one big trip on the books for May and once The KoB gets a work trip scheduled, I'll be able to pick my Spring goal race. Right now... I'm thinking either Oklahoma City in April or The Flying Pig in May (where I would find out if the 3rd time really is the charm). Which means that training would start to pick up around the beginning of January. Which, is uhhh.. next week. GRRRREAT.

Anyway, I hope you all had a happy, merry, and safe holiday!

1 comment:

Gracie said...

Fast turn around to another marathon! I've heard great things about Flying Pig, but doesn't it fill up?