run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

BQ Training Weeks 15 & 16

The taper.

Holy freaking cow. This is it folks. In less than 48 hours I will be attempting my first and hopefully last for awhile Boston Qualifier. Where did 16 weeks go???? 

Am I ready? As ready as I can be, I suppose. I'm more anxious than nervous. I have a lot of anxiety about what mile 22 is going to feel like when I haven't had to stop and crap 3 times already or thrown up 6 times. I KNOW that I CAN do this. I just hope that I am able to do it on Saturday. 

This training cycle went well... but damn it was hard. I didn't have the luxury of having a bunch of other people training for a marathon at the same time (I'm looking at you bitches) and I struggled to get my ass out there and do the work. 
Truth.
Luckily, The KoB stepped in and saved my ass on a few long runs and many other runs and didn't break up with me when I became irrationally bitchy at mile 12 of a 13 mile mid-week long run or when I fell and cried and rolled around on the sidewalk at mile 18.5 of a 20 miler.

I do think that having a training cycle that wasn't rainbows and unicorns will help on race day. I expect to hurt and I expect to feel like I can't do it at certain times during the race. But, I ONLY have to run for 3:34:59. That's not so bad, right? Haha.

Anyway, I feel prepared. Coach really outdid herself with my training plan this go around (I am going to kiss your feet, Coach, when I see you next for not making me do 10x800s this go around!!!!!!!). I loved the schedule and the varying workouts of intervals, marathon pace, and long runs. She has set me up... now all I have to do is deliver.

Week 15 Workouts:
Marathon Pace: 3 miles @ Marathon Pace
Long: 14-20 miles.

I ran the Marathon Pace miles a little faster than I had to and they felt pretty dang fast.  Obvi.

For my long run, I ran it on Thursday of last week and I felt like I needed another good long-ish run mentally. I ran 14 miles at an honest pace and I think it kept my head in check and not at the expense of my legs. Win.
I also ran 50 miles total last week. I've been averaging in the 60 range for most of my training cycle and I kind of felt like a significant drop off might mess up my mojo. So, 50 was enough to get me some rest, but not enough to get me USED to the rest.

Week 16 Workout:
Intervals: 8x400s at faster than 5K pace with 400 recoveries.

This workout kicked my ass. I think part of it was the recoveries. I've had rather short recoveries with most of my workouts lately and I just kinda stand around and catch my breath. With this workout, I ran the recoveries at about 9 minute pace. I only did 7 of the repeats. Hopefully that was enough to get some turnover in the legs. And of course made me feel terrible mentally about the race. Yay! Taper.

Like I always say though.... if all my runs feel terrible during taper week, I should be happy. That just means I'm saving the good run for the race.

See you on the otherside!


2 comments:

Carina said...

So excited for you. Hope the weather's good. You're going to kick @ss! You've had a strong training cycle and you know you're ready.

Meredith said...

I hope your marathon was not one of the ones that got cancelled for weather. I was cheering for you all weekend. Anxious to see how you did!