run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Monday, March 19, 2012

What's next?

Well, it's time. I took last week to revel in my awesomeness enjoy the fruits of my training. And I enjoyed it. I ran all easy miles (including some drunk/hungover miles that almost killed me on Sunday morning) and finally got over the 50 miles per week hump.

I am feeling good. Really good. I'm not getting out there and getting runs in because I should, or because it's what I do, or because I ate too many chips and salsa the night before... I'm running because I'm loving it. And it's not just the PR afterglow. I was feeling this way before the race. Basically, since day one of half marathon training.

So, since I'm still crazy in love with running right now... I'm going to keep going with this regimented training thing. I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe SOME things are possible for me. Maybe I don't have the history or the genes to be a FAST runner, but I think I can certainly get faster than I am now. And I'm really curious to see where it takes me.

Luckily, I've bribed my Coach and Pacer to continue helping me (booze and a thank you card will get you everywhere in life, I've learned). But, now, I just have to figure out what it is that I want and what I can do.

Long term... for this fall, I want to try and PR at the half distance (I know), but I really want to focus on the marathon distance. I'm not sure exactly what time goal I want for either of those races (or which races I'll do), but I don't really have to decide that right now.

The more pressing issue is WTF am I going to do this spring? I want to run a marathon. Just to see where I'm at and because I've got this great base of training already. I think I could spend the next couple of months bumping up my long run mileage a little and be fine to run a marathon in May. Which race? I'm not entirely sure. I've been thinking about the Flying Pig. I loved that race and it's a pretty easy drive up to Cincinnati. BUT, I've done it before... and it is pretty hilly. I'm not going to commit to a race just yet. I'm just going to focus on my training and see where I'm at in a month or so.

So here we go... more training madness.

No comments: