run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Of Mice and Men..

So, yeah, I'm doing this on Saturday:
The Indianapolis Mini Marathon

I'm excited. Carolyn and I are leaving around 8:30 on Friday morning to get into town in time for the expo, some shopping (H&M!!!!) and some leisure time in the hotel. It'll be fun. And then the race itself, should be pretty fun, too. I haven't ran a BIG road race (errr... make that any road race) in a long time and it's been a year or so since my last half marathon.

Initially though... this was supposed to be a big race for Carolyn. Last year after she ran it (she runs it every year). I boasted to her... oh, you just wait. Next year, I'll get you in under 2 hours. 

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha. Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahah. Hilarious.

Get her in under 2 hours??? Puhlease. The only way I'd be getting in under two hours is if I hitched a ride in an ambulance somewhere along the way. (This could indeed happen, if I attempted to finish in under 2 hours).

I mean, sure... we had planned to train for it. But... it just didn't happen. We ran the 11.2 a few weeks ago, so I know the distance is going to be fine for us... but... the speed. Now, that's another story. Particularly since I just got back from a 10 day vacation on a continent where there is NO LIGHT BEER and where the only vegetarian option at a lot of meals was a cheese sandwich and chips. Also... ummm... there may have been some* shortbread involved at some point. So, yeah... I'm not technically in peak, physical condition.

So, we've made a pact that we're not trying to kill ourselves break 2 hours (that will come in the fall when we're marathon training. I hope) we're just going to run it together for fun. And hopefully we can come in under 2:10. And if we don't... who cares. It's just a race!


*okay, okay... a SHIT-TON of shortbread is more like it.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Mmmmmmm.

Shorbread.

Tanya said...

I mean shorTbread.

Cripes.

LAPT said...

SOOOO many reasons here why I think we would be friends in real life. GOOD LUCK! And hell, it'll be fun whether you finish fast or not. Someday I'd love a sub-2:00, but for now I'm ok nearly dying with my 2:04!