run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Countdown.

Finally.

After months of planning, hundreds of emails, $175 bucks per person, and a few roster changes along the way the Bourbon Chase Relay is finally this weekend. In less than 48 hours our team, NashMash, will be barreling through the country roads along Kentucky's Bourbon Trail (pun intended).

You'd think... that after 6 months of planning, as Team Captain, I would have everything all squared away and ready to go.



And you'd be mistaken.

That's my to Relay To Do List. Full of everything I have to do before hitting the road at 9:30 on Friday morning. Luckily, I've got a plan and I feel fairly organized, so things shouldn't take that long and I would already have most things taken care of already this week... but there is that pesky little responsibility of work that I have oh and those 3 classes I'm taking this semester and oh yeah and I took a little last minute trip to Chicago last weekend, too.

It's all good though, because despite everything I still have left to do, I am SUPER excited about the relay. I've never really done the team thing. Growing up, I leaned towards the individual sports... golf, tennis (thanks Mom and Dad for not caring if I was a well rounded and socially adept adult. I'm surprised you didn't sign me up for a Chess league, too. Yeah, I know why. I wasn't smart enough for a chess league). So, I'm excited to feel like I have to run fast for other people. Because lord knows I don't usually feel like running that fast for myself. Go Team!

I'm a little encouraged as well. This weeks runs on Monday and Tuesday have been awesome! My legs felt fresh and fast. My 2-a-day on Monday night with my speedy afternoon running buddy was the first time he and I have ran together and 1. I didn't feel like I was going to drop dead during any part of the run and 2. I didn't feel like I was going to drop dead afterwards. In fact, I even kept a pretty good pace on my way back home.

I am taking today and tomorrow as rest days in preparation for the relay. It makes me a little nervous to do so, since I've been feeling so good these last couple of days. But, whatever. My routes in the relay are kind of hilly, so I figure extra rest can't hurt.

This will be my last post before I leave, so expect lots of pictures and a full report next week (although, you know I'll be tweeting during the race). See ya next week!

Special shout-out to you Chicago Marathon runners... particularly Melanie and Spike! (Don't worry, I left SOME alcohol in Chicago for y'all last weekend... I mean, I wouldn't drink it all knowing y'all were going to be there the following weekend).

2 comments:

Spike said...

I've always wanted to do a relay, so I'll be looking forward to your race report--don't spare a gory detail.

also, thanks for the good wishes in Chicago! but I do expect the city to be somewhat reeling after your weekend trip. :)

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Ah the life of a team captain - the neverending to do list! But it's great for control freaks like myself :-)