run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Maybe...just maybe...

I could finish the whole marathon if I alternated walking and running? Last night, when I went out for my run (in the oh-so-wonderful cool weather) I really focused on paying attention to how my knee felt. The first mile and a half were fine, but then my knee started feeling a little tweaky-not really pain, but just not right. I pressed on. At two miles, it did start to hurt so I stopped and walked for a bit. When I started running again, the pain was gone. The pain came back quicker than it had before and this time felt like it was spreading from the left side to the center. I walked again. I did this for about five miles before calling it a day. But it got me thinking...tons of people walk entire marathons. Sure, it may take all day, but at least they finish, right? If I can run/walk it, maybe I can keep the pain at bay and finish all 26.2.

What do you think? Smart or not? While I have been running regularly, my long runs are still not where they need to be...but to run and walk a marathon, is that really, absolutely necessary? Anyone have experience with this?

4 comments:

GypsiAdventure said...

Are you telling me that you run the ENTIRE 26.2 miles? Wow, I have high hopes, but I don't think I can do 26.2 running the entire thing. As for the run/walk thing - I've actually been training that way the entire summer (slower speeds = more fat burning etc) My long runs doing 2 or 3 minute jog with a 1 minute walk break each time. For my long runs this has worked pretty well, I don't feel completely exhausted by the time I'm finished.

Maybe this isn't the norm, but the group I train with all train this way and they all swear by it, so who knows...that's how I'm going to run it.
~K

M*J*C said...

Hi! I came across your blog while searching for felloe MCM'ers! I am also doing the MCM and recently "came to terms" with the fact that I will have to run/walk. I was having horrible hip issues, and the "walk breaks" have been really helping. I did my first 1/2 Marathon 2 weeks ago and alternated running for 2 songs on my ipod then walking 1 minute...I finished with an average pace of 10:20 min/miles, much better than I thought! So, I am sticking with this plan! You can also check out NC Runner's blog "Running Wild", he's doing the run walk thing and is FAST!

M*J*C said...

Hey April- thanks for stopping by! Even though we *probably* won't see each other, I'll be sending positive run/walk vibes your way! I'll also keep checking out your blog, good luck with your training!!!

Joe said...

I am going to be doing some sort of walk-run thing, even if it's just run 9 minutes walk 1 minute. As the runs get longer, my knees really feel it and need time to rest a bit. The walks have definitely helped me.