run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Yay us!

Here at 26point2ers, we are so proud and excited to have been keeping up this blog for one whole year! Amy did hers, and now it's time for my own personal best and worst 5 running moments Let's do the good stuff first, shall we? Drumroll please......

April's Top 5 Running Moments

1. When running became something I wanted to do. True, I ran in high school, but I was a sprinter and I always kinda always dreaded practices...especially distance days. So in college, I dropped it all together. Running was a dirty word to me. It was 6 years later that I became a runner again. I guess this isn't one specific moment, per se, but a realization that I came to while living in Japan. My village in the Kiso Valley of Nagano was beautiful...like living at a retreat. Snow capped mountains in the distance, the Kiso River flowing just outside my house, beautiful green rice paddies all around...it was gorgeous and I just knew that I couldn't really take advantage of all the surrounding beauty if I didn't get out there and explore. So I started with walking, and as the story goes, walking turned into running. I haven't looked back since.

2. My first race ever, the 1/2 Country Music Marathon. It was during this race that I was bitten by the running bug. I knew I had to do a full. I was so pumped with adrenaline that I barely noticed that I was running. Plus the fans at the CMM are fantastic! I love having fans. My life would be so much better if I just had my own personal set of fans following me around, cheering, "you're great!" "you can do it!" Now there's an idea for a business...

3. Of course...my first marathon. Yes, it was tough and yes, it was a long road getting there, especially the waking up early on the weekends for those long runs in extreme weather. BUT, it is an experience I will never, ever forget. One of my proudest moments. Running a marathon makes you feel invincible, unstoppable and ready to take on the world!
3.5. This goes with #3 so it'll count as a half...we did it all for the sticker, baby!
4. Every time I get to run with Greg. Again, this isn't one single moment, but I love running with my hubby! It's a great way to catch a little time together in the midst of our go-go-go lives. It's also great to have a man who understands how much running is necessary for me to stay sane. Yay Greg!
5. And another one that Amy also has on her list: Placing for the first time! I usually place in the top quarter of shorter (5k) races, but I'd always yearned to get that medal, trophy or plaque given out to the top 3. I barely made it, but I did make it! This is also very cool because it was an 8 miler on a pretty challenging course. Winning is awesome. Winning is awesome, indeed.Ok folks...prepare yourselves for the bad:

April's Worst 5 Running Moments

1. Not becoming a Road Warrior. To receive Road Warrior status here in Memphis, you must complete all 10 races of the Road Race Series-A 3k, Two 5ks, Two 5milers, Two 10ks, Two 10milers and the Germantown half-marathon. I made it all the way through the first 10 miler when I screwed up my ankle caused by a freak, UT tailgating accident. I'm not even kidding. UT fans are serious about their tailgating. Seriously. Torn ligaments suck. This happened last October and I still can't turn my foot in certain directions.
The first race of that series, before injury...This is my "eye of the tiger" face. Grrrrr.

2. Being flashed and chased at Shelby Farms Park at 3:00 in the afternoon. This was the scariest running moment I've ever had. It was a bright, sunny day and I was running the 3 mile loop. I ran past a guy about my age and shortly after passing him, he called out, "hey, do I know you?" I turned around to get a look at him and he had pulled out his you-know-what. Yuck, yuck, yuck. Well, I freaked out and started sprinting away from him. When I turned around and saw that he was cutting across the field and jogging after me, I went faster than I ever knew I could-no looking back. I finally got to another person on the trail and warned them of the creepy asshole ahead. After my unplanned speed workout, I made it to the Park Ranger's office to report the sicko. I told her what had happened and described how he looked and do you know what she said to me? She said, "oh really? It's not even flasher season yet." What the hell?!? Flasher season?!? That's when I invested in some pepper spray.
3. Hitting The Wall during the Country Music Marathon. Yes, the CMM was in the best top 5, but miles 22-25 make it onto my worst list. The wall is very real, people. Be afraid, be very afraid.4. Being really freakin far away from a bathroom when "nature calls." Runners know that a downside to running can be the digestive or stomach issues when something isn't quite right. During these (fortunately, rare) moments, I honestly feel like I am going to die. I can never decide if running or walking is better. I think you know what I mean so I'm not going to go into this any further. (See picture for #3 in Best Moments. If only...)

5. This race. I'm not sure if I was really digging deep or just sleep running.
I don't even remember what race it was, probably a 10k since 10ks are torturous and they hate me. I just remember that I woke up late, sprinted to the starting line just in time for the gun to go off and struggled through the entire thing. This just wasn't a fun race. (Ok, this one wasn't really all that bad, but I can't really think of any other bad moments besides general stuff like waking up early or making myself go in early when my friends get to stay out partying it up all night long. While those sacrifices can be annoying, the payoff is totally worth it, right?)
Waking up early sucks

So dear friends, as you can see, we've sure had some times since we've called ourselves runners. I just love to say that..."yes, I'm a runner." (what do you do?) Just kidding. I'm not that bitchy. Or maybe I am. All I know is that I feel like one lucky gal to share this spectacular blogging experience with my best pal in the world, Amy. (Everybody now...1, 2, 3...awwwww...) We don't even live in the same city and we're running buddies! Ain't the Internet grand?

Happy Blogiversy to Us!! (You can find our gift registries at Dick's Sporting Goods and Fleet Feet) just kidding:)

1 comment:

Amy said...

And by "freak UT tailgating incident" you mean... "your unathletic ability to pass and catch a football," right? :)

Ha ha, I kid, I kid...

Love ya!