run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The kind of cross-training I could get into...

I think we all know that I'm a bit of a spaz when it comes to cross-training. I always have these grand ideas of biking, swimming, pilates, strength training, tennis, learning how to play soccer... and the list continues on... But, I have a hard time actually doing any of these things on a regular basis, ya know? I mean, think about it... Isn't running enough? Why can't I just have an off day for the sake of a whole day off from major physical activity. Why must I cross-train?

Well, yesterday... I had an epiphany.

I've found my perfect cross-training activity:

A (really good, possibly photo-shopped) picture of #10 at Bluegrass Country Club.

Yesterday, I was my mom's partner in a 2 person scramble event at her club. We had a great time and played fairly well. But, it got me thinking... could golf be cross-training? Sure, I usually ride in the cart, and sure there is beer involved a lot of times... but, you can't deny the core workout that you get from playing a round of golf. Right? Who's with me?

So, my question is... is playing a round of golf exercise enough to be labeled cross-training? I mean, obviously if you walk and carry your bag, it is. But even if you're riding in a cart? Is going to the driving range cross-training? I can't remember being more sore in a long time than I was a few weeks ago when I went to the driving range for the first time in ages. So, obviously... it works some muscles.

Now, I just have to figure out how to afford to be a golf cross-training junkie.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Well I have to agree that w/ the walking & carrying the clubs not to mention the actual swinging of the clubs would be x-training but the driving & the beer not so much..;-)

GypsiAdventure said...

Hum...I'm with you on the golf cart and beer thing, maybe taking the golf cart out would count as cross training, but I think the beer thing would negate the benefits so....I'm going with sure, why not? Activity is activity right? (then again, I don't golf so I wouldn't count my opinion)
~K

Rhoni said...

I definitely think golf counts...I mean, if you're not running and you're not sitting on the couch, that's cross training in my book! :)