run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Weekend Review

Saturday consisted of a six mile pace run, which turned out to be really great. I felt good and ran all six miles around an 8:45-9:00 pace. I should have gone ahead and tacked on an extra four miles to get the weekend long run out of the way. Instead, I went out for my 10 miler on Sunday, only to complete four miles before returning home. I'm not sure what happened, but I just wasn't in it for a long run.
That's when I realized that most of the harder workouts that I've attempted have resulted in disappointing failures. Since training began, I've fallen short on both speedwork and long runs, which got me to thinking...maybe I shouldn't be trying to follow Hal Higdon's Advanced Training Plan.
If I had been following this plan last year, I think I wouldn't be having these same problems. Honestly, I'm just not in good enough running shape at this point because of the recovery time that my ankle required. Once it was healed and ready to go, I didn't have the chance or time to build up a good base mileage before starting the program and I'm starting to see those effects.
So even though I feel like a failure/slacker, I'm thinking of dropping back to the intermediate training program. I guess this is one of those times where I should listen to my body, right?
Besides, getting hurt again is so not worth it.

No comments: