run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Answering the Call...

Shhhhh.... listen...

Can you hear that???

Okay, so maybe it's just me... but every morning during my run, I hear it... calling me...

Amy... come and join us, frolic on our soft surface…be a real runner
and run intervals and do speed workouts.
The Vanderbilt Track is exactly 1.5 miles from my condo. Which, really sucks. I mean, before I had a good reason not to do speed workouts (where would I do them?? There's no track around... I'd totally do speed workouts if I had a track, man. Yeah, speed workouts are cool). And of course, now... I've got one that is the absolute perfect distance from my house. One and a half miles is the perfect warm up/cool down the for speed workouts. And I literally, run right by it every morning.

So, now, it's like I have to do some speed workouts. But, as I mentioned yesterday... I never ran track. I have no idea what to do. I don't have a stop watch. I don't know the distances. And look... I have plenty of excuses (I am never at a loss there).

But, I guess it's time to learn. So, I'm going to try to learn about the track... (4 laps around is one mile right? But, is that just the innermost lap? What if I run the outermost lap? Is that longer? I'm really struggling with math issues lately, sheesh). And I'm going to try to find some workouts that I can do down at the track.

The track... it's calling out to me (and let me tell you, my knees, my shins, the ball of my left foot, and today my achilles heel are all begging for me to answer the call... sidewalk running is killing me) and I know it's time to move into the realm of serious runners (serious runners definition: Those who do track workouts, actual cross training and hill repeats).

Thank god there isn't a Krispy Kreme on my route, or I'd have a whole other set of issues.

1 comment:

April said...

I love the track!! Are you going to start doing track work before your race or after?