run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It's only day two and I'm already punking out...

Well, I had originally planned for a hill workout today. I went online yesterday afternoon, mapped out this crazy hilly route for a total of 6 miles. I was excited! I am going to start doing regular hill workouts, yay! Last night, however, whilst lying in bed, I started thinking... oh god, do I have to do a hill workout?

I enjoy running. Seriously. I know I get a lot of blank stares out there when I say that, but I honestly do. It's liberating, its intoxicating, the rhythm of my shoes on the pavement is hypnotizing and when I can drift off into a deep thought process, it's therapeutic. So, yeah, I enjoy running. Now, to put this in perspective with a crappy metaphor, I also enjoyed my southern lit english class in college. I loved reading Faulkner, Poe, and Percy... but, I didn't love Flannery O'Connor (I know, I know blasphemous, right? Dude, she is totally overrated. She wrote like she was writing for 7 year olds). So, hill workouts are like my Flannery O'Connor. I know that I should enjoy it, I love running, I should love pushing myself: I love southern literature, I should love Flannery O'Connor. But I just don't. I freaking hate them. Both.

So, yeah, I didn't do the hill workout today. I stepped outside and literally 3 seconds later I was already wiping the sweat from my brow. It was too damn hot. Next week, though, there will be hills.

Last night I did play tennis. And let me ask you a question... is it possible to get worse at something the more you practice? I mean, last night I was actually wiffing at balls. Like, totally missing them.

Tonight's agenda: Yoga Lattes and possibly my strength training video. I need new weights though. Some of those exercises are impossible with 8 pound weights. What weight do you usually use?

4 comments:

April said...

Ok-I don't really think you are being fair to hill workouts. I mean, I know you haven't given them a chance. We didn't even really do hills, besides maybe once or twice, during our last training season. Am I wrong?
But Flanner O'Connor-I'm with you on that.

April said...

Oh and I use 3 or 5 lb. weights...depending on the move. I definitly think 8 is too much.

Amy said...

Well, I did do like 2 hill workouts pre-marathon last time. And it wasn't that bad. I did the one at moss wright over like 4 times or something... I want to do them there again, but its too hot in the afternoons.

And yeah, dont you feel dumber after reading her stuff?? I totally don't get it.

April said...

Ok so you don't HATE hills.