run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Reset

Housekeeping: I couldn't get BitchState to work today, so, for now, this is a 26point2ers exclusive.
There are officially no races on the calendar. Well, that's not entirely true...I am planning on running a 5K and a 5 miler in the upcoming weeks, just because I enjoy those particular races. But, no LONG races. No marathons or half marathons. And honestly, it feels liberating. I was always scared that by not having a race on the calendar for the future, that maybe I'd just quit running. 

But, I think the opposite is true. I'm actually no longer feeling dread about running. Lately (as in the past year or so) every long run I've attempted has been met with absolute dread. Why? Because I'm just constantly not in shape and constantly trying to force myself in shape and these days, that's like forcing a square peg in a round hole. IT'S NOT WORKING.

So, I'm feeling liberated a bit and looking forward to running. So much so, that I've got a new challenge for myself...
I am so sick of struggling through a 14 mile run at an overall pace of 11:30 just to try and attempt to get myself in shape for a half marathon or a marathon. It's kind of ridiculous. So, I'm taking time and focusing on my fitness level, instead of my endurance. 

My current status of running is going to consist of running 3-5 days a week with my long run topping out at a whopping 6 miles. And I am not allowed to add on to that long run, until I can run all 6 miles at 8:45 pace. Once I can run 6 miles at an overall pace of 8:45, I will add a mile or two to the distance come up with a new time goal before moving on.
I did my first long run under this new plan last weekend. I ran 6 miles:
10:02, 9:46, 9:46, 9:35, 9:22, 9:28
And I have to be honest, this was one of the hardest runs I've done in a long time. So, I've got some work to do, but I'm looking forward to it. 

2 comments:

Carina said...

I totally love that idea (and am glad you posted here!). I should steal it. I'm also just slogging along lately.

Alan said...

IPVA 2019 consulte agora.